Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Elephant Man.

I was about 2 years old when I first saw the Elephant man. I described him to my mom, with mans body with and elephants head. I was actually quite scared by his appearance. From what I remember I see him sitting on my bed next to me "speaking" calmly just wanting to comfort me  and give me a kiss. I started crying and mom got me from the room. The next morning my mom went in the room and noticed a stain of blood about the size of an orange where the Elephant man was sitting, from then on I never slept in that room again after .  Later on, when I was 8 or 9 I had another dream about him. I don't remember much but I do remember blood droplets. My mom believe the reason for the blood is a sign of life force. I think him trying to kiss me is him giving me a voice. 

As I got older I noticed there was a Hindu god called Ganesha. 


Ganesha:
Version 1:

It is told that his Mother Parvati had to go bathe and her husband, Shiva, was at a meditation retreat and not to be expected back any time soon. Parvati told Ganesha to guard the door and not let anyone inside the room. Later Shiva arrived home and tried entering and Ganesha refused. Out of rage Shiva cut of his head. 
To make up for this mistake Shiva promised Parvati that if she places the head of any person or  thing that Ganesha would come back alive. The First head she ran into that morning was an elephant.

Version 2:
Parvati was blessed with a beautiful son and all the Gods gathered to admire the child.They all gazed but one, Shani. He claimed to be under a curse, which what ever human being he looked at would burn to ashes. Parvati insisted that Shani should look at her son. Ganesha's head was burnt to ashes instantly. Parvati cursed Shani, but Brahma came up with a comforting solution.That Ganesha could become alive again if thy replace his head. Vishnu went to go find a head and the first thing he came across was an elephant sleeping by the lake. He severed the head and returned to place it on Ganesha.

Ganesha is known as the God of Success; education, wisdom, knowledge, and wealth.

"Significance of the Ganesha Form
Ganesha's head symbolizes the Atman or the soul, which is the ultimate supreme reality of human existence, and his human body signifiesMaya or the earthly existence of human beings. The elephant head denotes wisdom and its trunk represents Om, the sound symbol of cosmic reality. In his upper right hand Ganesha holds a goad, which helps him propel mankind forward on the eternal path and remove obstacles from the way. The noose in Ganesha's left hand is a gentle implement to capture all difficulties.
The broken tusk that Ganesha holds like a pen in his lower right hand is a symbol of sacrifice, which he broke for writing the Mahabharata. The rosary in his other hand suggests that the pursuit of knowledge should be continuous. The laddoo(sweet) he holds in his trunk indicates that one must discover the sweetness of the Atman. His fan-like ears convey that he is all ears to our petition. The snake that runs round his waist represents energy in all forms. And he is humble enough to ride the lowest of creatures, a mouse."
http://hinduism.about.com/od/lordganesha/a/ganesha.htm

Symbolism of blood/ Red:

"Red also belongs to the alchemists' palette. To them, red symbolized the 'fulminato' -- a stage of major transformation signifying that the process known as the 'Great Work' was nearing culmination. Taken in this context, blood may suggest that an important project into which one has invested much "life blood" may be at the point of maturation or transformation."

5 comments:

  1. I love this Post! I have been waiting for you to talk about this and start to discover the beauty of your meeting. There is so much to learn, and I am looking forward to your telling of the next meeting :) Much Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Awesome, thanks for sharing. So many incredible things happen when we are too young to understand the symbolism (imaginary friends for example). This is great that you remember and put the research together with your childhood experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this and shared once again :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. i STILL LOVE READING THIS Sara thank you for finding it for me !!~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shared this again Sara Just this week ♥♥☺☺ But there is no comment soo I don't know if it was read !~

    ReplyDelete